Thursday 5 June 2014

Skydive - Bucket List Challenge No.2

Years and years ago I thought it would be a good idea to make it a well known statement to my friends and family that before I turn 30 I would do a skydive.

Silly me!!

As the big 30 is now looming come September, I finally had to make good on my word and sign up for the challenge. However it did mean that I could tick yet another thing off my Bucket List.

I managed to also rope in my awesome friend Zoe to take part in the challenge, again another reason to ensure I didn't chicken out.


On Saturday 31st May, we arrived at Langar Airfield for 12 o'clock only to be told that flights were currently being suspended due to low cloud.

So we patiently waited for our turn.

Luckily our friends and family who had turned out to support us, kept our minds occupied so we didn't keep thinking about the impending jump. Finally 5 hours later it was our time.

From then on things moved pretty quick. It was time to get in our flight suit, meet our tandem diving instructors, have a quick run through of our descent positions and then it was time to board the plane.



I was paired with the awesome 'Bones' aka Tony and he managed to keep me smiling and laughing despite how nervous I was. He was a real dude!!

My calmness went utterly to shreds once the plane shutters came up and people started to jump. I may have had a scaredy cat tear in my eye at this point too.

What am I doing????!!!
Before I knew it I was hanging out the door and then I was gone. Flying through the air so fast that I had to remember to keep breathing at the same time. My cameraman was poised and ready to catch my reaction and I remembered to smile, give him a wave and a thumbs up to say 'I'm still alive'.

The whole descent lasted about 8-9 minutes and I even got to be in control of the parachute and do some aerial turns.

When I came to land I could see all my family there waiting and shouting for me and I landed straight on my bum. I don't know how to describe the feeling when I landed but it was a mixture of pure relief, happiness and adrenaline.

Phew, back in one piece!!
A big hug from Bones and then I could stand and wait for Zoe to land before making my way over to my family for hugs all around.

Together we raised nearly £800 for the Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire Air Ambulance www.justgiving.com/nicandzoesskydive

Thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment