Thursday 19 February 2015

Chinese New Year


 


Gung Hay Fat Choy. Happy Chinese New Year everyone.

2015 is the year of the Goat and starts today on the 19th February. The sign of the goat is believed to bring a mood of peace, harmony and tranquility, and is a time for coming together to join forces. Happiness, success and good fortune are believed to follow.

This year my company is taking part in its own Chinese New Year celebrations, largely due to the fact we are part of a large Hong Kong based corporation.

We were given a box of decorations including lanterns, stuffed animal toys, chocolate pennies and many more decorations. We all decided to be a bit naughty too and order Chinese take away for lunch, that coupled with a bake sale it was great way to start the celebrations.

As I am off to China in September I am trying to embrace the culture and the traditions in preparation for my trip. For example I now know that the reason red is such a prominent colour in Chinese culture is that it is believed to bring good luck and warn off evil spirits.

I find these traditions fascinating and cant wait to learn more on my trip.

Let me know if any of you are celebrarting Chinese New Year in any form. It could even be just ordering from your local takeaway :)

Thanks for reading, back soon. 
Nic x



No comments:

Post a Comment