Tuesday 22 July 2014

Peru Part One - Lima

Now that I have unpacked my rucksack and caught up with family and friends the realisation that my Peru adventure has finally ended has begun to sink in.

So I thought I would blog about my trip for you all to read, and for me to relive the highlights over again.

First up - Lima
The vast majority of trips to Peru start in Lima with most people using the city as a gateway to travel to another part of the country. I was going to be spending just over a day and a half in Lima so aimed to do my best to see the highlights.

Unfortunately at this time of year Lima is shrouded in grey clouds known as Gurua and despite being warm the grey clouds do create a bit of a gloomy outlook on the city.


On my first day in Lima I gained a map of Miraflores from the Hotel Castellana reception and took the 15 minute walk down to Larcomar. Here you can gaze out into the ocean and spy on the crazy surfers attempting to ride the pacific ocean waves. Next to Larcomar is the Parque del amour and the first place on my speedy Lima to do list.


The Parque is lined with beautiful well kept flower gardens and an imposing statue in the middle of a lovers embrace. The charm of the parque however lies in the colourful mosaic sculptures and seats. There is even a tree for lovers to mark their initials on.



From here I took a 15 minute taxi ride to the Larco Museo. This place was highlighted in my Lonely Planet book as one of the top museums in Lima and it didn't disappoint. The 18th century mansion houses a large collection of ceramics, gold and jewels.




Many visitors are lured here by the vast collection of erotica in pottery form. It definitely made for an interesting hour.


Next stop was Parque Kennedy back in Miraflores. The park is set in the middle of a busy area of central Lima and a walk in the park will find you in the company of lots and lots of cats. Some sleeping, some chasing birds and some just going about their daily business. The parque also hosts crowds of local artists showcasing a variety of paintings, prints and textile souvenirs.


The final landmark in Lima was Parque Reserva in downtown Lima. Here you can take the Magical Water Tour which costs 4 soles to enter, but definitely worth a visit. The Magic Water Tour is currently the world record holder for the largest fountain complex in the word, consisting of 13 distinct fountains all of which are lit up at night with many operating a continuous colour changing formation.


Overall I cant say Lima was my favourite place in Peru (more of that to come) but I did feel that the time I did spend I got to see some of the cities charm and quirkiness.



Next stop Cusco..................

Stay tuned, thanks for reading x


No comments:

Post a Comment