Thursday 21 August 2014

Cake Decorating - Cath Kidston

It's been a little while since I did a post like this as I have been busy reminiscing about Peru in my travel blog posts. But here is something a world away from that.

Its that time of year again when we all become engrossed with what has now become a British Institution - The Great British Bake off is back on TV.

In keeping with that I wanted to share a bit about what I got up to at the weekend. Last Sunday my Mum and I spent the day taking part in a Cath Kidston inspired cake decorating class.

Both keen bakers ourselves I was really excited to see if I was actually any good at the decorating part and I absolutely love Cath Kidston prints so it was win,win.

The class took place at the Ganache Cake House in Edwinstowe, Nottinghamshire. Nestled right on the edge of the legendary Sherwood Forest.


The class lasts around 4 hours and costs £40 and at the end you come away with your 12  beautiful little cupcakes.


The class guides you through the art of decorating using both moulds and your hands. We created tiny pink roses, hand sculpted leaves and even used edible paint to add the little details. We learned how to pipe the buttercream and then dome your cakes using the coloured fondant to give you the perfect decorating platform.



As you can see, the end result is very typically Cath Kidston, with florals, spots, stripes and strawberries.


The class takes place in the library next to the bakery and is a really calm and relaxing environment to do the classes and they keep you topped up with plenty of tea and coffee and chocolate biscuits as cake decorating is thirsty work.

Once your class is finished you can pop next door to the bakery and tuck into a well deserved slice of cake. The bakery itself is gorgeous and all decorated in pastel colours and shabby chic decor. 

The Cake House also offers classes for birthday parties and baby showers. So if you are from Nottingham and looking for a nice way to spend a Sunday with your mum, your Nan or friends, then I highly recommend the Ganache Cake House. I cant wait to go back again.

Thanks for reading x


No comments:

Post a Comment